If you are starting off on your own in a new city or you are moving into a new home and do not want to carry your old baggage around, you have to plan for all the furniture and fittings that you will need. No less important is setting up your kitchen and the focus of this piece will be solely on that only. While there are some speciality items that you will find it difficult to do without like deep fryers, pasta makers, microwave oven and OTG, spare a thought for the regular pots and pans that are equally essential.
Most importantly, if you choose carefully, you can literally complete any recipe by having the correct pots and pans on hand. This can be crucial if you are setting up home on a budget.
- 2 quart saucepan with lid – If you are single and want a multi-utility cooking vessel, this should be ideal for you. Use it for making sauces or for reheating soups and readymade stuff picked off supermarket shelves.
- 4 quart saucepan with lid – Can be used for the same purpose as the smaller version but in this case it will be suitable for cooking for 2-3 people. You can make larger quantities of sauces and cook soups of your own recipe and not merely reheating.
- 6/10in stainless steel sauté pan with lid – This single pan can be put to a variety of uses. Stir frying vegetables, braising or putting the finishing touches to a recipe can be done in this pan.
- 8in non-stick sauté pan – Allows you to cook at low temperatures because of the high heat conducting Teflon coating. Use wood instruments to avoid scratching the surface. Perfect for cooking fish and eggs.
- 8in Dutch oven with lid – Not good for sautéing food but otherwise right for frying, blanching and making casseroles. Main advantage here is that it can be taken from the stovetop to the oven directly at varying stages of a recipe.
- 10in cast iron grill pan – There are grooves at the bottom of the pan which collects the dripping fat when meat or fish is grilled. Make sure to clean the grooves thoroughly every time.
Start with these basics and add to them as you settle down.